Historic Clayborn Temple
At the crossroads of 19th Century Architecture and The American Civil Rights Movement, Clayborn Temple is an important icon of Memphis’ Architectural and African American History. Clayborn Temple was formally dedicated at the beginning of January 1893 by the Second Presbyterian Church. Towards the end of 1949, the building and surrounding property were deeded to Clayborn Temple A.M.E. Church of Memphis which would soon become a rallying point for the Civil Rights Movement. The Building entered the national register of historic places on September 4, 1979 as authorized by the National Historic Preservation act of 1966. The roof structure and stained-glass windows have been stabilized and protected. Self + Tucker Architects is the Architect for this Clayborn’s interior and exterior restoration as well as a building addition.